Update on the XDC Covid-19 Situation
July 2nd, 2020
X.Org Foundation board has decided that XDC 2020 will be a virtual conference, given the uncertainty of the COVID-19 situation in Europe, and in particular de the possibility of a second wave arriving around September to October which could results in travel restrictions in Poland and the rest of Europe.
XDC 2020 organization team agrees with this decision and has volunteered to organize and host XDC virtually.
X.Org Foundation board would like to publicly thank the organization team for all the work they are doing to organize our first virtual XDC ever. We hope to see you online in September!
April 30th, 2020
We’re still planning to hold XDC, but adopting a wait and see attitude to the in-person component. As people have noticed, the global prospect for being able to travel to Gdańsk in September seems to be getting worse, so we’re posting this to give more transparency to what the X.Org Developers' Conference decision points and options are.
Our first consideration is a go/no-go decision point for the in-person conference. We will decide at the beginning of July, if we keep the conference as planned, or postpone it. There will be several factors that affect this decision: travel or event organization restrictions at that time, safety measures to minimize the infection, authorities' recommendations, etc.
Therefore, we recommend the attendees to not book any flight or hotel until this decision is made.
Our second consideration is planning now for how we might do a fully online version of XDC. The primary consideration people should note is that we are checking with the University of Gdańsk our Internet bandwidth and AV options for streaming the event.
Other conferences have already done fully online versions, which we’re in the process of evaluating.
Therefore, we will continue opening Call For Proposals as usual but stay tuned to any change regarding XDC organization.